Traditional and authentic Paal Pongal recipe made in a traditional way.
Milk - 1.5 cups
Jaggery- 1/2 cup
Moong dal - 2 tablespoons
Raw rice - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 4 tablespoons
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Mace / javitri - 1 pinch
Safron stands - 3-4
Pacchai kalpooram / edible camphor- a pinch
Chopped Cashew, badam - handful
Water - 125ml / 1/2 cup
- To make Paal Pongal first we decorate the Pongal pot by smearing chandan and kumkum. Tie turmeric with its leaves with some flowers. Make a small Rangoli on gass stove. Then place the pot with 1.5 cups of milk and switch on the stove.
- Dry roast moong dal for few minutes.
- Wash rice, rinse well add dry roasted moong dal.
- Add rice and moong dal to the boiling milk. Add 1/2 cup of water let everything cook well.
- It takes 30 minutes to cook rice on medium flame. Stir occasionally so that it doesn't burn.
- Once rice and moong dal cooks well add jaggery and cook on slow flame. Add safron strings to boiling paal Pongal. It will become slightly watery.
Cook for 12 minutes.
- Heat ghee add chopped badam, cashews, mace / javitri, a pinch of edible camphor. Pour to the paal Pongal and mix well. Add some cardamom powder mix well.
- Paal Pongal is ready to serve. Serve in a banana leaf.