We all would like to switch to healthier diets. Have you ever met anyone who rejects healthy food? If yes, Run away from them!
Eating healthy is easier said than done. You need determination and willpower to get the right ingredients and practice self-control. But what to start your health- journey with?
That's what you will find out in this blog!
Starting with the basics - Salads, LOTS OF SALADS!
Salads can range from your Indian Green salad to the fancy Waldorf salad. The point is portion control. You can also include it in your daily meal. For this, you need to eat salad 15 to 20 minutes before your meal, and remember- in small portions!
Here are a few Salad recipes to start you off-
Spicy Cucumber Salad
- 5 cucumbers - sliced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup (73 g) roasted unsalted peanuts, finely chopped or pulsed in a food processor
- ¼ cup (25 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime or lemon juice, or a mixture of both
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coconut oil, ghee or neutral vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Put the cucumber, chili pepper, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup of the peanuts, 2 tablespoons of the coconut, lime juice, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Toss gently.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to sizzle and pop, stir in the cumin and remaining 2 tablespoons coconut. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the mustard seed mixture over the cucumbers and toss everything together (it will sizzle).
- Taste to make sure the salad has a good balance of salty-sweet-hot adding more salt, sugar, chili or citrus to taste.
- Serve in bowls sprinkled with the remaining peanuts and cilantro or mint.
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup persian cucumber cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup onions diced
- 1 cup tomato dee-seeded, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice of half lime
- black pepper & salt to taste
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas, cucumber, onions ,tomatoes, cilantro.
- Then drizzle some olive oil, squeeze fresh lime juice and add seasonings like salt and ground black pepper.
- Toss everything well and serve immediately.
Tomato Mozarella Salad
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil
- Place tomato slices, alternating with mozzarella slices, on a large serving platter.
- Combine oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well.
- Drizzle over tomatoes and mozzarella; sprinkle with basil.
- Serve cold!
Now you can begin your journey towards a healthier future!