By Foodism Team
How are you celebrating this year's Hummus Day? May 13th is celebrated as International Hummus Day and we are in love with dip.
Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip, spread, or savoury dish made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. The standard garnish in the Middle East includes olive oil, a few whole chickpeas, parsley, and paprika. In Middle Eastern cuisine, it is usually eaten as a dip, with pita bread. But it's not limited to that, Now we have beetroot hummus, pesto hummus and great wraps using this dish and veggies. Without any dilly dally, let's make homemade hummus!
Hummus & Bread
- 1 cup chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 2 green chillies
- 8 cloves of garlic
- Tahini - Sesame seed paste
- ½ tsp jeera powder, amchur
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4th cup olive oil
- Cook soaked chickpeas in pressure cooker toll 2 to 3 whistles and let it cool.
- Crush the chickpeas, garlic and chillies with olive oil.
- Add tahini, salt, pepper, turmeric, jeera powder and amchur and mix well.
- Toast a fresh piece of bread without any fat.
- Spread the hummus on the toast and your healthy breakfast is ready!
Now that you are all set with your hummus, try this amazing wrap recipe!
Veggies Hummus Wrap
- 1 flavored wrap or tortilla (I used spinach)
- 1/3 cup hummus
- 2 slices cucumber , sliced lengthwise
- Handful of fresh spinach leaves
- Sliced tomato (depending on size of the tomatoes)
- 1/4 avocado , sliced
- Fresh alfalfa or broccoli sprouts
- Fresh microgreens
- Basil leaves , if desired
- Spread the hummus on the bottom 1/3 of the wrap, about 1/2 inch from the bottom edge but spreading out the the side edges.
- Layer the cucumber, spinach leaves, tomato slices, avocado slices, spouts, microgreens and basil.
- Fold the wrap tightly, as you would a burrito, tucking in all of the veggies with the first roll then rolling firmly to the end. Cut in half and enjoy.
Happy International Hummus Day, Foodismers!