By Foodism Team
If you are a foodie, you have crossed paths with Korean food. And don’t get us wrong, Korean food is simply delicious. It’s unique, different, flavourful and thanks to the power of the Internet- very famous as well. But when it comes to introducing someone to Korean food, it is all about choosing the right dish. Select the wrong dish and you have created a monster who hates a wonderful cuisine! So what is the perfect dish for a Korean food virgin? We have the perfect answer for you!
Dak-galbi, have you heard this name before? But we can bet that you have tried this bombing dish! Dak-galbi is simply the most famous- Korean spicy chicken. It’s crunchy, saucy, and perfectly cooked and it has all the best Korean flavours.
Koran spicy chicken is made by stir-frying marinated diced chicken in a gochujang-based sauce with sweet potatoes, cabbage, perilla leaves, scallions, tteok (rice cake), and other ingredients.
It is served with many side dishes which are important to the main dish itself. The Koreans have perfected the art of preserving food, so many side dishes are picked, fermented or salted and many are spicy. Kimchi, Korea’s famous spicy cabbage, which has over a hundred varieties using different vegetables, is a constant in every meal. It is adored for its sour tangy crunch as well as for being a digestive aid.
Now you know a lot about the perfect Korean style dish, but we are not done, we also have the best Korean spicy chicken recipe for you!
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets
- 150 g sweet potato, cut into long thick sticks
- 1 carrot, diagonally sliced
- 1/2 cabbage, shredded
- Perilla leaves (optional)
- Rice cakes (optional)
- 6 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 4 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 tablespoons chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons Korean curry powder
- 1 onion, grated
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Pour the sauce over the chicken and marinade for an hour or two.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-high heat and once heated add some cooking oil. Put all the vegetables and rice cakes into the skillet and add the meat on top.
- Cook them on medium-high heat for 3-4 mins. During cooking, stir often to avoid food sticking to the pan.
- You can cover it with a lid to speed up the cooking process.
- Serve with rice and other Korean side dishes